This summer I read two books, hoping for perspective for something I struggle with.
Lysa TerKeurst is a writer, speaker, and the President of Proverbs 31 Ministries. The Best Yes helps readers make wise decisions in the midst of endless demands. Sometimes no is very hard for me. I feel so sick and guilty when I have to say no to something. The chapters of the book draw you into the process of saying yes and no wisely. Chapter three sums up what so many of us feel, an overwhelmed schedule and an underwhelmed soul. Seeking God and letting go of unrealistic expectations can help us wisely give our best yes and humbly offer our best no.
Jessica Turner of Mom Creative, writes The Fringe Hours: Making Time for You. The Fringe Hours encourages busy parents to take time for themselves. Do you ever feel guilty when you lie down for a nap, read a book, or try a new craft and your house is a mess? We are encouraged to give ourselves permission to invest in the things we love and the relationships that are important for us, while letting go of the guilt of self-imposed pressures.
I truly struggle with both of these things.
I’m so thankful for all of you. I want to encourage you all to know its all right to not be perfect. We don’t have to always say yes. We don’t have to give away our fringe hours continually for others. Part of the way we make a difference and give back is to take care of ourselves too.
Since reading these books I have:
- Made a secret Pinterest board with things I want to dream about.
- Before school starts again I am trying to take a little nap every afternoon while the kids do their screen time.
- I got little white lights to hang above my writing desk. I wish I could drape the world with little white lights 🙂
- I’m going to make time to exercise and take care of myself.
- I practiced saying no, which brought me to a yes that I could offer and feel so excited about.
- I’m slowing down, so I can hear.
What do you all love to do in your fringe hours? I want to know what you LOVE to do when you make time for it! These are very well the things God will use most deeply in your life to make a difference.