That first moment:
Dear Ellie and Josiah,
We hoped for you. We prayed for you. Then you were there with us. All amazing hope and grace flooded our hearts. You looked up at us like we had known one another forever. A new life and suddenly our lives had the most amazing purpose. All you were and would become was wrapped up in that single moment. Our hearts cracked open because we knew we could never love anything like we loved you.
Love, Mom and Dad.
I remember feeling so scared. The weight of the responsibility of bringing a life into the world did not fall short on me. But, the moment I looked at my daughter and then my son all my fear faded away. They looked at me like they knew I was their Mom. All my insecurities and inadequacies seemed small in that moment.
I am so thankful we had good health care to guide us in those first moments. I was completely awkward that first day (and honestly, the awkward parenting moments keep coming.) Neither birth was without its challenges, but I knew we had the assurance of amazing health care to guide us through.
We received a chance to make it into the world together.
That was a blessing I don’t take for granted.
It is a blessing many Mom’s in this world do not receive.
The Global Team of 200 is working with Save the Children to bring awareness to maternal and newborn health care.
- Watch this touching video about celebrity Moms and their love at first sight moments and our global needs. Video
- The State of the World’s Mothers (SOWM) report is Save the Children’s signature annual publication, which compiles global statistics on the health of mothers and children. Here is the infographic for the report. I’ll be pinning it on my Pinterest Causes board.
Maternal and Newborn Health is a cause we can get behind. We have all been mothers, or daughters, or aunts.
How can you be involved:
- Follow #SOWM on twitter to learn how to help.
- Follow Save the Children on facebook, twitter, and Pinterest.
- When gifting consider maternal and newborn health. Support Newborn Health and Child Survival Programs.
- Support adoption. Every child matters.
Beautiful Images from Save the Children:
What was your first moment like? How do you support maternal and newborn health?